Understanding Oral Cancer Screening
Abnormal growth of cells in your mouth, tongue, lips or throat can lead to oral cancer. Typically, individuals over 45 years of age are more susceptible to this disease. However, when detected early on, it can be treated successfully. Your dentist is the best person endowed with the necessary training, expertise, and skill to recognize early symptoms of this disease. He can also advise you on the associated risks before embarking on an appropriate treatment option.
What are the Early Symptoms?
If you start seeing patches of dark red on your lips, tongue or mouth, you are better off consulting the best dentist Sydney CBD immediately. Changes in tongue sensation, change in taste difficulties with swallowing, numbness or bleeding in your mouth, are also among early symptoms.
Researchers have not established risk factors associated with oral cancer. However, it is believed that consuming tobacco products like cigars, cigarettes, chewing tobacco, etc., heavy consumption of alcohol and particularly so, in combination with smoking, oral sex, poor diet, gender and genetics ( men are more susceptible than women )are potential among the risk factors.
When you notice any of the symptoms listed above, the right thing to do is consult with an experienced dentist Sydney CBD and take his help to get a complete diagnosis done. Your treatment options would depend on various factors and the results obtained from a detailed investigation. If your dentist Sydney CBD suspects that you do have oral cancer, he may recommend the following studies:-
– A biopsy which would involve removing a few tissues from your body and examining it under a microscope
– Imaging tests like ultrasounds, X-rays, MRI or CT scans
– Radiation therapy, Chemotherapy or surgery to eliminate the associated tumour
How to Prevent Oral Cancer?
You can prevent oral cancer by following the measures below:-
– Regular exams by a qualified dentist and asking him/her to do screening for oral cancer
– Stop smoking and using other tobacco products – your dentist can help you with tools to quit
– Reduce alcohol consumption if you are a heavy drinker
– Include plenty of vegetables and fruits in your diet
– Limit exposure to the sun and use lip balms
– Check your mouth at regular intervals for symptoms or signs and report them to your dentists without loss of time
The writer is one of the renowned and most experienced Sydney CBD dentist from Premier Dental Sydney, a leading dental clinic in Sydney CBD offering comprehensive range of dental treatments. To know more, visit http://www.premierdentalsydney.com.au
Premier Dental is Sydney's first choice for cosmetic dentistry, general dental services and preventative care.Our dental practice is proud of our gentle, caring environment which keeps up to date with the latest advancements and procedures in dentistry.We are a fully qualified dentist, a member of the Australian Society of Implant Dentistry, the Australian Dental Association, the Australian Society of Computerised Dentistry, the Australian Sleep Association & Sleep Disorders Australia.For more Visit http://www.premierdentalsydney.com.au/This author has published 6 articles so far.