Label Testing Procedures For Durable Labels
Labels are inevitable components of any manufacturing industry. Every product whether it is food item, machinery, appliances or other consumer item, it needs label to convey some useful information to buyers. As every product for sale needs to be tested for its quality, labels also need to be tested for their various properties and durability. This label testing has emerged as a distinct field with growing demands and production of labels for various requirements. Label testing is performed using different lab testing equipment and it covers a wide range of label testing procedures. It ensures the quality of labels and how it can work in different conditions. This article reviews some of the label testing procedures followed to ensure durability of various label products.
Usually, labels are made of different materials like paper, tape, film, fabric etc. Thus, the label testing methods differ for certain types of labels. There are numerous label testing methods have been established to test labels and its adhesive and assure long lasting labels. Here are some of the label and adhesive testing procedures used to test various label products –
- Creep / heat resistance testing – When the self- adhesive label is peeled of slowly and gradually, it comes intact but if pulled out quickly, it ruptures. Creep resistance tests it durability using some equipment and procedures. The test is associated with increasing temperatures to test the performance at extreme low temperatures as well as high temperatures.
- Shear resistance – The pressure sensitive tapes or labels are tested for shear resistance. In this testing, the label is applied on the standard surface, may be glass, steel or other surface where it needs to be fixed. The test substrate is clamped slightly and the weight is attached to free end of the label and the records are taken for shear resistance test.
- Peel adhesion test – There are number of Peel adhesion tests established to check pressure sensitive tapes or labels. The test involved peeling of the label from the surface at standard laboratory conditions and the force needed is measured using specific equipment. This test is also accompanied with various storage conditions like cold, hot temperatures, immersing in chemicals or exposing to sunlight etc.
- Label adhesive tack – This test is applicable for labels used for machinery or splicing tapes. The test checks the initial grab of the label. It measures the force required to separate the label at specific speed.
- Release force testing – It is essential to check release force of labels. The low release force can lead to removal of label during application processes while high release force can result in web break or in automatic application it can lead to dispensing failure.
Besides these tests, there are tests like viscosity, tensile and elongation, abrasion resistance, porosity, surface energy, friction etc. The analytical testing of labels includes various procedures like gas or high pressure chromatography, infra- red spectroscopy, calorimetry etc. There are several lab testing machines established on the market. These machines include digital tensile testing machines, tack testers, friction testers etc.
ATEEPL offers a wide spectrum of services encompassing manufacturing, marketing, pre-sales consultancy, sales, distribution, after-sales-services. It also has expertise in handling turnkey projects.This author has published 1 articles so far.