Summer is here, that means holidays, travelling and spending more time with the family etc. Along with all these good moments, unfortunately, summer also brings an increased danger of home fires, so you need to take extra precautions to keep you, your family and your home safe.
The use of electricity reasonably increases during summer. There are several electricity-related problems associated with summer that can affect homeowners during this season. Recent statistics revealed that “Less than 8% of house fires and less than 6%of fatal fires occur in each of the summer months. Some electrical fires happen because of problems in house wiring or appliance failure, but many occur due to overloading outlets with multiple plugs, worn wire etc.”
Thinking, “Is your home ready for summer?” Preparedness & Awareness are the keys to ensuring you as a homeowner, stay safe from electrical hazards during the summer months.
To help you, we’ve put together our top tips for staying safe this summer. Share these tips with your family and friends so that everyone gets home safely.
– Install additional power outlets with the help of certified electricians in Sydney. This will help avoid those circumstances where you have to overload your existing sockets with so many appliances using multi adaptor plugs.
– Ensure all electrical gadgets, and appliances are switched off before going to bed. By doing so, you will not only save on the electricity bills but also avoid risks of fire that can come from short-circuiting.
– Regularly check the condition of your home wiring, electrical sockets, plug outlets, switches and so on with the help of electrical contractors in Sydney. If they get damaged or worn out, you must have them replaced or repaired immediately because the more they stay that way, the worse they get and the higher the risks of electrical hazards.
Indoor Electrical Safety Tips
– Don’t attempt to DIY electrical works —it’s safer to call your local electrician.
– Make sure to use plug outlets in laundry rooms, garages, basements, bathrooms, kitchens, and in any other “wet” rooms.
– Check to make sure you are using your extension cords properly.
– Always plug air conditioners, washing machines, refrigerators, dishwashers, and other major appliances into grounded outlets.
Outdoor Electrical Safety Tips
– Have your pool or hot tub wired safely by a professional electrician.
– Keep electrical toys and appliances far away from pools and hot tubs.
– Look out for power lines when using ladders outdoors.
– Teach your children about the dangers of climbing trees or flying kites near power lines.
Hope you may know many of these safety tips already, but it doesn’t cost to be reminded once again. Following these steps can reduce the risk of electrical fires, keeping you and your family safe!
The Author is an experienced electrical contractor in Sydney who likes to write more articles and blogs on home safety and interior design. In this article, he conveys his idea on how to protect your home from electrical fire. For more details, visit http://www.betterelec.com.au
With trade experience of over 40 years, Better Electrical provides the best electrical services throughout Sydney. Our fully trained electricians deliver the highest quality and professional electrical repair and maintenance services at reasonable prices to everyone looking for a Sydney electrician. We are proud to be accredited as one of the first Master Electricians in Sydney. We are one of a handful of electricians to be Triple Accredited.This author has published 3 articles so far.